SHERWOOD (then conceived as the Diocesan Boy’s School), emerged as a brain child of Mr. Condon, Mr. H.S. Reid and others under the patronage of the Seventh Metropolitan of India, Rev. Robert Milman.
1869 - 1880
The first Principal Rev. E. Baston, imparts both identity and philosophy to the institution.
Enrolment figures touch 100 and result in the rejection of many applications for admission for want of accommodation.
School Committee purchases the Sherwood Estate, now housing the Raj Bhawan Complex.
The two wings of the institution so far housed separately at Long View and at the newly acquired site are consolidated as one at the Sherwood Estate with a total complement of 100 students, 8 staff and 2 pakhals.
A violent cyclonic disturbance causes extensive damage to the estate and some boys shift to a military camp while others remain behind, living in tents, on the estate grounds. The school colours borrowed from an elite British Regiment, the Sherwood Foresters, are registered by a Sports Committee under Mr. Hancock.
The Himalayan Gazetteer of E.T. Atkinson gives honourable mention to the institution describing it as a centre of learning which thoroughly fulfils the designs of its Founders.
During these eight years the school functions in its idyllic surroundings, offering among other things, a shooting range of six hundred yards. Unfortunately, the school is once again shifted, as the new location of Government House was earmarked for the Sherwood Estate. Movement from this location to the present High Court premises, and then on to Khurpatal, resulted in cholera and enteritis ravaging, the inmates, unfortunately the Principal falling victim to a fatal attack of the latter.
The present location on a spur on Ayarpatta Hill is acquired and the Foundation Stone laid by the Lord Bishop of Lucknow on 5th June (which, ever since has been reckoned as The Founder’s Day).
The School Motto, “MEREAT QUISQUE PALMAM” – “Let Each One Merit Ones Prize,” is chosen under the Stewardship of Mr. R.C. Rosslet. During this period the school also established a visible reputation in cricket as well as other sporting events outside Nainital.
1903 - 04
‘A new block (dormitory) is built. In the following year ‘Milman Hall’, named after the ‘Founder Father’, replaces ‘The Pavilion’, with a gymnasium on the ground floor.
The College Chapel is dedicated on 1st October, 1913 (later re-dedicated to St. Barnabas, the patron saint).
1914 - 18
The House System is introduced in Sherwood with four Houses: Allen-A-Dale (red), Little John (yellow), Friar Tuck (blue), Robin Hood (green).
Electricity comes to Sherwood.
The Infirmary is dedicated and sanctified on the old site of the “Gwala Hut”.
The Horsman Wing, dedicated to their father by two Old Sherwoodians, is built with their generous donations.
The Senior Wing is dedicated to Mr. Dixon (Principal 1906-1932).
1933 - 37
The Cock House system, Marathon Run, and interaction with Oak Grove, Bishop Cotton, and the two La Martinieres are introduced under Rev. Binns, the Principal. The Diocesan Boy’s School is renamed Sherwood College in 1937.
The Milman Hall is built, named after the Founder, replaces “The Pavilion” with a gymnasium on the ground floor.
1940 - 58
The College Chapel acquires a Hammond Electric Organ, a handsome, Teak altar and railing again donated by two Sherwoodians in memory of their father, Tom Taylor, the longest serving member on the staff. In these eventful years the school registers 370 pupils on its rolls, with a number of new additions and constructions taking place, such as the swimming pool, built on 7000 man hours of the sweat and toil of the boys. Some future legends of international stature were on Sherwood’s rolls at this juncture.
General Sam Manekshaw (later the First Field Marshal of the country) presides as Chief Guest during the Centenary Celebrations of his Alma Mater, Sherwood College.
A new era of planning and development begins with the stewardship of the college moving on from the legendary Llewellyn years to Mr. D.R.A. Mountford who for the next 31 years builds and rebuilds Sherwood on the guidelines provided by its Founders. The school activities are widened with the introduction of hobby blocks, badminton and squash courts. Co-education is introduced in Sherwood and Computer Literacy Programme for classes 6 to 12 is inducted as a pioneering venture.
2004 - Present Day
The new Principal, Mr. Amandeep Sandhu takes over. Within six years of his tenure he has introduced Sherwood’s own VSAT/leased-line and extensive networking and internet facilities. A new Multipurpose Hall for girls adjacent to the Girls’ Hostel, a new dormitory for them, extended parking space on the campus, a spacious multipurpose hall, additional dormitories for Horsman Wing, a new billiards cum pool room and an extension of the stadium were completed in record time under adverse weather conditions.
The school has continued its philosophy of imparting all-round education with a judicious mix of value based principles to enable its alumni to develop a sound vision, integrity and dedication in the challenging conditions of the present-day world.